Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Elul: the rainbows in the sky





The rainbow in the rice paper collage provided a different challenge than 'green trees'; in this case, the color saturated really well and were almost too bright when I laid down the first coat of paint with 6 shades. I had to try to provide more variance and less intensity of color to have this painting fit the series. I did that in two ways; in the final layer of color, I added more shades of each primary color inthe rainbow stripes. And I left the last paper layer plain rather than painting on it to help lighten the coors a bit more. I did try using some white for clouds as well, not only to mute the colors, but to remind us that even the vision of rainbows can be muted by the clouds in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment